Thermal Imaging/Infrared is a technology that measures the slightest temperature differentials along the surface of a material. This technology DOES NOT SEE THROUGH WALLS, although the images may appear that way. This technology is useful for detecting moisture issues, electrical issues, HVAC leaks, energy loss detection, and insulation issues. I utilize this technology during my Home Inspections as an added service.
A professional home inspector, equipped with a thermal imaging camera and properly trained and certified in its use, can find problems with a house that normal home inspectors cannot. These problems include:
- Water intrusion through the houses exterior covering, whether the house has brick, stucco or siding.
- Water intrusion above windows and doors.
- Plumbing leaks inside the house, including leaking pipes, improperly seated toilets, leaky shower pans and bathtubs and water pipe condensation.
- Improperly insulated HVAC ducting that can cause condensation dripping in attics and crawlspaces.
- Improperly installed or insufficient insulation in ceilings and walls.
- Leaking roofs, skylights, roof vent piping and roof vents
- Evaluation of the homes electrical system